Terms and conditions
TSL 2022 International Student Essay Competition & Debate and Sustainability Challenge
Each essay writer or video creator warrants that he/she personally created, wrote and produced his/her essay or video submission, except where otherwise quoted or credited in the essay or video. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are reproduced, falsified, altered or tampered with in any way. For judging purposes, entries should be in English.
It is the responsibility of participating schools and colleges to ensure that they have sought and obtained any relevant protections or permissions relating to intellectual property.
Individuals under the age of 19 and anyone else who is below the age of majority of their place of residence must have the consent of a parent or legal guardian to enter the competition and be eligible to receive any prizes.
Minors who are selected as potential winners will also be required to provide the TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING with a completed parental permission form. The form must include a parent’s or legal guardian’s approval signature and be returned within seven (7) days from the date of notice in order to be eligible to receive a prize. Any minor who does not provide this parental permission form within seven (7) days or falsifies information will forfeit his or her right to be declared a winner and/or win a prize, and an alternate winner will be selected.
Sustainability Challenge video permissions: It is the responsibility of participating schools and colleges to ensure that they have sought and obtained all appropriate permissions for images of individuals appearing in the submitted videos.
PERMISSION GRANTED TO TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Each entrant hereby grants the TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, sub-licensable transferable license to use, copy, publicly display, publicly perform, digitally perform, syndicate, synchronize, edit, modify, transmit and prepare derivative works of your contributions (in whole or in part) for purposes of producing and distributing educational, marketing and publicity content for the TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING in any and all media (whether now existing or hereinafter devised) including but not limited to text, film, television, cable, mobile transmission and over the internet. Each entrant will keep all rights to his/her/its own creation for his/her/its own non-commercial personal and school and college use only.
The winner of the Grand Prize essay will receive:
- Return economy class air travel for up to three people (including the winner, the winner’s parent or legal guardian if the winner is a minor, and the registered teacher champion) between a major airport near the winner’s residence and the location of one of the TSL Summit Events for a period of approximately 5 days.
- Once the tickets are purchased by the TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING, travel dates cannot be changed and any fees related to booking changes will be the responsibility of the Grand Prize winner.
- Accommodation in up to 2 hotel rooms (one for the winning student & parent/legal guardian and one for the Teacher Champion) arranged by TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING for approximately 5 nights.
- £500 spending money to cover miscellaneous travel expenses.
With the current global pandemic situation and considering our participants’ safety, TSL, in discussion with the Grand Prize Winner, may defer the prize trip to a time when it is safe to travel, or TSL may offer an alternative prize trip or prize.
GRAND PRIZE VALUE
The Grand Prize value will vary depending on the travel arrangements confirmed by TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING. The Prize has no redeemable cash value.
DEADLINE FOR CLAIMING GRAND PRIZE
The Grand Prize winner must claim the Grand Prize within 7 days of notification via email to the registered Teacher Champion (the “Deadline”). If the Grand Prize winner fails either to claim the Grand Prize or inform TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING of his or her inability to claim the Grand Prize before the Deadline, his or her entry will be forfeited and a runner-up will be awarded the Grand Prize. Noncompliance with this time period, or the return of any prize notification as undeliverable, may result in disqualification and, at TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING’s discretion, the prize will be awarded to another eligible entrant.
The Grand Prize winner is responsible for obtaining all required travel documents and for any and all additional expenses not noted in the official prize description associated with claiming the Grand Prize including, but not limited to, travel insurance, ground transportation costs, taxes, visa costs and other expenses (the “Expenses”). The Grand Prize winner understands that he or she may not seek reimbursement for the Expenses from TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING.
DECLARATION AND RELEASE OF GRAND PRIZE WINNER
Before being awarded the Grand Prize, the potential Grand Prize winner and, in the case of minors, their parent/legal guardian must confirm that:
The potential winner possesses a passport valid for travel to their prize destination and, if below the age of majority in their place of residence, their accompanying parent or legal guardian must also possess a passport valid for travel to the same location; and
Sign a standard Consent Form (below) confirming that by entering the Contest:
- the parent or legal guardian understands that acceptance of the Grand Prize may involve danger and/or exposure to risks and hazards of both man-made and natural origin, whether arising from foreseeable or unforeseeable human error and negligence, and that, as a result, he or she may suffer damage to personal property, serious personal injury, illness or even death;
- that he or she nevertheless freely and voluntarily agrees and does hereby assume any and all risks of personal injury, illness, death arising out of or connected with his or her participation in the Contest and winning the Grand Prize; and
- that he or she releases TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING, its affiliates, partner organizations, sponsoring or co-sponsoring organizations and all of their directors, officers, employees, agents as well as their respective advertising and promotional agencies (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liability arising in connection with participation in the Contest and acceptance of the Grand Prize, including, without limitation, any financial, legal or moral responsibility or loss or personal injury including death or damage to or loss of property suffered or incurred or arising from participating in the Contest or accepting the Grand Prize, whether suffered by the Grand Prize winner or his/her travelling party, or by his or her heirs, administrators, personal representatives or executors, and notwithstanding that such injuries or losses may have been caused solely or partly by any act, omission, negligence or gross negligence of any or all of the Releasees.
GRAND PRIZE TO BE ACCEPTED AS AWARDED
The decision of the Contest judges is final, and the Grand Prize must be accepted as awarded. No portion of the Grand Prize is transferable. The Grand Prize is not redeemable for cash and no substitute for any portion of the Grand Prize is offered. Should the Grand Prize winner be unable to claim the Grand Prize as awarded, his or her award will be forfeited and another eligible Contest entrant may be selected.
NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES
TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING makes no representation or warranty whatsoever, express or implied, as to the quality or fitness of the Grand Prize. The Grand Prize winner understands and acknowledges that he or she may not seek reimbursement or pursue any legal or equitable remedy from TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING should the Grand Prize fail to be fit for its purpose or is in any other way unsatisfactory to the Grand Prize winner.
SUBSTITUTION OR CHANGE TO THE CONTEST
TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING and its respective advertising and promotional agencies reserve the right to substitute the Grand Prize or any component thereof, for one of approximately the same value and reserve the right to change the Contest rules or terminate or withdraw the Contest at any time, without prior notice.
OWNERSHIP OF ENTRIES
All submitted entries are the property of TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING. The Releasees assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, destroyed or otherwise indecipherable entries due to any failure or technical malfunction of the telephone network, online computer systems or equipment, servers, access providers, software, poor reception, technical problems, failure of any email or submission or due to any other reason regardless of cause.
CONSENT TO USE OF PERSONALITY
Each entrant, including the Grand Prize winner, consents to the use of his or her name, school name, city of residence, likeness, image or any other aspect of his or her personality for any publicity and programming purposes, commercial or otherwise, in all media used by TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING, its partner organizations and their advertising and promotional agencies, without any payment or compensation.
CONSENT TO COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
By voluntarily providing personal information including, but not limited to, name, age, date of birth, school/college name, address, email address and telephone numbers (the “Registrant Information”), each Teacher Champion and school/college grants permission to TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING for the collection and use of the Registrant Information. The Teacher Champion and school/college confirm that they have the authority to act on behalf of the participating children.
SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
These Terms and Conditions are subject to change without prior notice at the sole discretion of TRUST FOR SUSTAINABLE LIVING.
COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS
This Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law and is subject to all international, federal, provincial, territorial and municipal laws and regulations.